A Journey in TEFL

First Week of the School

September 22, 2012 | 7 Comments

Schools started. I have new classes and I have classes that I know from last year. We started working hard. We, as the English Department of our school, prepared lessons to motivate our students.

With my year 12 students, who will graduate and take the university exam, we read ‘Go and Open the Door’, a poem written by Miroslav Holub. It is a great poem to talk about opportunities, chances, memories, etc and my students wrote their own poems. You can view their poems on their class blogs.

With my year 11 students, we talked about overcoming obstacles, being decisive, being ambitious, the place of disabled people in the society, paralympic games. I used Sean Banville’s lesson on Oscar Pistorius. I told my students to create posters and some suggested preparing glogs. You can view their glogs on our class blog as well.

If you can visit our class blogs and leave a comment for them, they may feel more motivated.

7 Comments so far

1.    Amanda on September 22, 2012 12:49 pm      Reply

Hello again!
    Your blog is really so interesting and I feel that even though I am going to be teaching elementary I still feel that there is so much to learn from your teaching techniques!
    I love the way you showed that you do different teaching styles dependent on the grade level in question. I feel like I can apply this to taking each students learning style into account and changing my technique to work on it.
    Thank you for posting such great advice!

•    Eva Buyuksimkesyan on September 22, 2012 1:26 pm      Reply

and thank you for visiting.

2.    Morteza Hojjat Shamami on September 22, 2012 1:14 pm      Reply

Welcome back and keep in touch!

3.    Christina Tsiagli on October 3, 2012 12:33 pm      Reply

Hello, again! I visited your students’ blog and I was really impressed. We are trying to set up our own student blog, so it was great to see how that works. They have done such a good job with their poems and their presentation of their writing. My students are much younger, but I am definitely going to show them your students’ blog. They will be inspired at the least.
    christina

•    Eva Buyuksimkesyan on October 3, 2012 3:30 pm      Reply

Thanks,
      I would also like to read their blog when it is ready and leave a comment to encourage them. I also have younger learners, maybe we can ask them to leave comments for each other. Let’s keep in touch
      Eva

4.    Creative Teacherette on October 4, 2012 9:56 am      Reply

I love how you incorporate contemporary media in your classes, I’ll be trying it out for sure when I start teaching for real. :) Thank you for your ideas!

5.    wanderingeducators on January 28, 2013 10:33 pm      Reply

I love this, Eva, and have missed keeping up with your work! One of our ESL writers at Wandering Educators shared her first days of ESL teaching – thought you might enjoy it: http://wanderingeducators.edublogs.org/2012/12/11/teaching-english-in-thailand/

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. First Week of the School : A Journey in TEFL | TeachingEnglish | Scoop.it
  2. First Week of the School : A Journey in TEFL | Fun Lessons for Teaching English | Scoop.it
  3. The 31st ESL Blog Carnival | One Year
  4. The 31st ESL Blog Carnival | Teach them English

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

• #RSCON5 MiniCon

RSCON5 qr blog badge present Apr 2014
  • I’ll be at IATEFL 2012 :)

Glasgow Online
  • Edublog Award 2012

• Edublogs Awards 2011

• Edublogs Awards 2010

bestteacherblog
  • Our Wiki Project / Join us for more fun

• Recent Comments

• Dear Reader

I'm so glad that you're passing by. This is a blog where I share ideas, links and sometimes I speak my mind. There are also lesson ideas inspired by other teachers, I try to link them. If you like them, you can use them because they are here to be used and shared but please remember us.
  • TWITTER

• I’m a member of Bloggers in ELT, Freelance

• Meta

• Find this blog in the education blogs directory